Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Questions Answered

Right now, I'm not sure how, but I know when the time comes, I'll find a way.  In regards to mountain biking, there's nothing that excites me more nowadays than to work towards that discovery.  In preparing my body and more importantly, my mind, I've learned that my body is conditioned to the point that if I take care of my mind, my body will follow.  Out of the long, grueling winter workouts I've spent on the  bike, I don't remember the last time I've actually felt a muscle cramp, unless you're counting the brain, then yes I have.  During countless workouts, I've trained myself to agree that my training officially begins when the desire to quit entires my mind.  I can remember every deep moment of suffering I've charged into because ever since, let's just say the start of the year, I've laughed every time.  Maybe it's the endorphins, maybe it's the caffeine, maybe it's because there's a mild sense of comfort when I look down and see numbers that reflect how tremendously busy my heart is, maybe it's knowing that I'll live and for me, I've discovered there's not too many other ways to do just that.  So during the races, when my mind wants to become a spectator, I have no idea how I'll pedal another 29er tire revolution never mind another mile right now, but nothing excites me more than the mystery of answering the question of how to keep the mind rolling when I want to "pump the brakes" (thanks Jeff!) and sleep off the anguish.  I've been there before and I've promised myself to do everything I can to avoid reliving that experience.  What happens in Snowmass, stays in Snowmass! I've also learned from a post by super enduro rider Ben Welnak, that I must stay grounded and not allow myself to become an anxious racer and instead to "be in the mile" so to speak.  These are the locations and times of the questions and hopefully, Brett Ebben and I can start the season by finding the answers at the first race of the season and beyond:


April 9: 12 Hours of Dawn 'til Dusk
May 29: Original Growler (68 miles)
June 18: Bailey Hundo (waiting for acceptance...nervous!)
July 3: Breckenridge Firecracker 50
July 16: Breck 100
July 30: Winter Park Crankworx XC (20+ miles)
September 3: PCP2P (70 something miles)
October 1 & 2: 24 Hours of Colorado Springs Nat'l Championships
November 5 & 6: 25 Hours in Frog Hollow
*going lone ranger style in all races

See you on the trails,
Tim