Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Breck 100: Pre-race Report: Give It Hell


You’ve got to be careful. You’ve got to be grateful. Because before long, it will be taken. So enjoy it while it’s here. I had a small scare at work that nearly took what I love about my job, away. It was a good scare. Kind of like the one in January where I could have been wiped off this gorgeous planet, but somehow I was spared. I was in the position of asking, "Why not me?" Not the typical "Why me?" disconnect that people typically display. We’re all so lucky and we don’t even know it. I’m grateful I have the ability to ride a bike, nevermind the ability to have the legs that I do. I bitch and bitch when they don't show up at the races but I need to come to my senses by watching the Olympics this summer. South African, Oscar Pistorius, will compete in track for the 400 meter and 400 meter relay and hopefully this will be enlightening. Why? Well, he is a double amputee competing in the "able-bodied" olympics with prosthetic legs, that's why. Perfect example how if you don't train your mind, your body will not follow. Maybe then, I will finally stop complaining that my legs don't show up when I need them most. I'm planning on showing my gratefulness by giving it my all at the Breck 100. Gonna give it my legs, my heart, my hell. And those close to me, those not associated with my cycling side, know best and know just how much hell I have to give.